Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I purchase equipment for my business (e.g. Laptop @$1,000.00), but also use it for personal use, can I deduct the expense (or some portion of it) on my Schedule C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I purchase equipment for my business (e.g. Laptop @$1,000.00), but also use it for personal use, can I deduct the expense (or some portion of it) on my Schedule C?

ORIGINALLY FOR TAX YEAR 2016; SEE Tax Year 2018 UPDATES (2019) - increased opportunities
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/new-rules-and-limitations-for-depreciation-and-expensing-under-the-tax-...
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-guidance-on-section-179-expenses-and-section-168g-depreciati...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were to use the computer in your business more than 50% of the time, you could deduct the entire cost under a provision of the tax law called Section 179. Under Section 179, you can deduct in a single year the cost of tangible personal property (new or used) that you buy for your business, including computers, business equipment and machinery, and office furniture. There is a $500,000 annual limit on the amount you can deduct under Section 179 (indexed for inflation each year starting in 2016). See Section 179: What Every Business Owner Needs to Know for more information on Section 179.

However, since you use the computer for both business and personal purposes, your deduction is reduced by the percentage of your personal use. For example, if you use your computer 60% of the time for business and 40% of the time for personal use , you can deduct only 60% of the cost. If, as you say, your computer costs $1,000 you could only depreciate $600.

Take the Section 179 special depreciation option when entering this computer as a business asset acquired.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

under what conditions can a business expense item be used personally? E.g., if i buy and deduct furniture, computer, and other supplies, when can i use them personally?

Please ask your question as a new question and not as a tagalong in a thread which actually does not have the same answer
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies