Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I commute to other retail locations besides my primary store, are those miles tax deductible?

I work in the retail setting and commute to a lot of different places. I have a primary store location that I commute to which I understand is not deductible miles. If I drive from home to other store locations to help out and pick up shifts, do those count as deductible miles as they are not my primary place of employment?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I commute to other retail locations besides my primary store, are those miles tax deductible?

If you drive from one store to another store during your work day then you are driving from one job site to another so you could count those miles—if you mean for 2017 or earlier. Driving from home to a different store is still just commuting—it does not count. And for 2018 and beyond —job-related expenses like mileage for W-2 employees are not deductible.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are a W-2 worker, it’s all commuting unless you work in two locations in the same day.  And you must have reliable detailed records.  And the deduction was eliminated for the 2018 tax season so you might only be able to deduct for 2017 if you are still working on a late return and have a mileage diary or works shift record that is reliable.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

For example you leave home drive 5 miles to the 1st store then drive 10 miles to the 2nd store. At the end of the day you drive 15 miles home. Only the 10 miles between stores is deductible. The first trip in the morning, from home and the last trip at night back home are considered commuting and are not deductible.

But, For most people the real answer is: don't bother! You are allowed to deduct your mileage (53.5 cents for 2017) and other job expenses, subtracting what you were reimbursed (do not subtract your reimbursement if it was included on your W-2 as taxable income). TurboTax completes form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. The problem with this is that you only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902...>)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies