turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does shipping count as business income

I see where to report my shipping costs as a business expense, but where do I enter in the money that I receive from customers for that shipping? Do I list it somewhere as business income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JaimeG

Ideally you should include the shipping costs in the Total Price of the product that you sold so your Gross Sales will include what you charged for shipping. Once you have all of your shipping costs in Gross Sales you would simply expense the shipping costs and every dollar that you spent and subsequently received will be accounted for.  

bookieJ

Shipping is an interesting character in the bookkeeping world.

Yes it is income IF you charge the customer more for the service than what you pay out.

Use the income account on your invoices to show where you charged for the shipping.  Then you use the expense accout to show where you paid Fedex, UPS, US Postal, etc. when coding the bill.  Both these accounts show on your profit and loss statement reflecting any profit made from shipping.  (Such as I billed 20.00 on the invoice and paid Fedex 10.00 - I made 10.00 profit)  That profit is taxable and is included in the bottom line of the Profit and Loss.  ALL CORRECT AND GOOD.

HOWEVER, what if I want to be able to see an actual amount each month of what my shipping sales were?  The shipping expense (the amt I paid out)  doesn't reflect under the shipping income leading me to think I had more income than I actually did.  Remember, it shows correctly in the bottom line on the Profit and Loss,  BUT...what if I pay someone a percentage of sales.  (The true amount of the sale is shipping income less shipping expense)  I can't make shipping expense a sub account of shipping income.  Sub accounts have to be the same type account as the "Parent" account.  I only want to pay the commission percentage on the profit (or loss) from the shipping.   ANSWER:  1.  Record shipping on the icustomer invoice with it linked to an  income account.  2. When you pay the bill, code it to the same account,  (This will reduce your shipping sales income by the shipping expense all in one account and show under your sales.  The outcome on the bottom line of the profit and loss statement is the same and everything is still good for tax purposes.

I agree ... it is all in the way you set up the books so that your intended purpose is served correctly.  However for the IRS all income from all sources  needs to be reported as income.  Then you can deduct the expenses later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies