Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm retired and get my health insurance partially subsidized by my former employer. I'm now self employed with net income. How much may I deduct on Sch C?

I'm being audited and the IRS auditor tells me I cannot take any Sch C deductions for the unreimbursed med premiums, because my insurance premiums are partially subsidized by my former company (I retired after 32 years and they partially subsidize the premiums). I still pay over $8000/yr unreimbursed premiums and as a small business owner, I can't take any deductions other than Sch A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm retired and get my health insurance partially subsidized by my former employer. I'm now self employed with net income. How much may I deduct on Sch C?

To deduct health insurance on Schedule C, the policy must be in your name or the business name. If you or your spouse could participate (even if you declined coverage) in an employer's health plan at any time during a given month, you cannot take the deduction for that month. However, payments for those months are deductible on Schedule A if you itemize deductions.

Your deduction for self-employed health insurance is limited to net income on your Schedule C less the deductible part of your self-employment tax

View solution in original post

1 Reply

To deduct health insurance on Schedule C, the policy must be in your name or the business name. If you or your spouse could participate (even if you declined coverage) in an employer's health plan at any time during a given month, you cannot take the deduction for that month. However, payments for those months are deductible on Schedule A if you itemize deductions.

Your deduction for self-employed health insurance is limited to net income on your Schedule C less the deductible part of your self-employment tax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies