turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m married but only received 1200 stimulus check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

We have no control over what the IRS sends you.

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for head of household filers and
  • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

Taxpayers will receive a reduced payment if their AGI is between:

• $75,000 and $99,000 if their filing status was single or married filing separately
  • 112,500 and $136,500 for head of household
  • $150,000 and $198,000 if their filing status was married filing jointly

The amount of the reduced payment will be based upon the taxpayers specific adjusted gross income.

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability or veterans' benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return will receive a payment. This also includes those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from certain benefit programs, such as Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.

Although some filers, such as high-income filers, will not qualify for an Economic Impact Payment, most will.

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• Your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $99,000 if your filing status was single or married filing separately
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.
  • You do not have a valid Social Security number.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019

Did you file a Joint tax return?

Does your spouse have a Social Security Number?

Cyncyn22

I also received $1200 today despite filing married filing jointly with 1 child and making less than $150k last year.

According to the IRS website, we should receive $2900 ($2400 for MFJ with less than $150 AGI plus $500 for our child).

@Cyncyn22 wrote:

I also received $1200 today despite filing married filing jointly with 1 child and making less than 150k last year. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

For security reasons, the IRS plans to mail a letter about the economic impact payment to the taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after the payment is paid. The letter will provide information on how the payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the payment.

@ColeenD3 

The IRS sent me 1200 days after filing the 2019 taxes jointly married. When I looked, it seemed the amount was submitted days before I filed in 2019. How can my husband and I receive the remaining $1,200? We qualify for the stimulus and file together. Does he been unemployed affect the stimulus check amount?

Who could we contact for the rest of the amount?

Thank you

@abayan_17   They likely looked at your 2018 tax return.  Did you file as Married Filing Jointly in 2018?

@AmeliesUncle  I did not. I filed married this year because I got married in 2019.

Thanks.

My husband claimed me on his 2019 taxes and I'm on ssi but we only received  $1200 so will I receive a check?

Please update the status if anything new come up thank you.

I am helping a couple, in 2018 they filed married jointly, but in 2019 the husband filed married filed separately.

The man got $1200 and the wife got nothing.

So she filed on non-filer on the IRS website, it came back saying no can do, her ss# shows that she's a spouse of a married filed separately.  Reject code IND-511

So i don't know what else she can do.

Did you figure this out I'm having same problem I'm married filling jointly both 2018 and 2019 only received 1200

I've found no answers to my question in reference to my husband filing jointly and claiming me 2019 and we only got $1200.we didn't get the $2400.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 11).

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I dispute the fact that I am married filing jointly but received a check for only me. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 11).

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies