Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have started a new business and have expenses in 2022, but no income. Do I file a schedule C now, or wait until 2023 when there should be some income?

I have started a new business and have had expenses in 2022, but no income. Do I file a schedule C now, or wait until 2023 when there should be some income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I have started a new business and have expenses in 2022, but no income. Do I file a schedule C now, or wait until 2023 when there should be some income?

Yes, file a schedule C with the expenses showing the loss. If you "activity participate " in your business, the loss will offset on income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Shirlyn,

I am wondering if I can hold off until 2023 since I don't need to deduct the loss this time, but I may benefit from it next filing time. Do I have a choice?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can either deduct or amortize start-up expenses once your business begins rather than filing business taxes with no income.

However, if you were actively engaged in your trade or business, but didn't receive income, then you should file and claim your expenses this year.

Actively engaged in business means a bona fide business concern having conducted commerce, trade or industry.

Start up costs can be deducted in the year you actually start your business.

Some startup expenses, such as organizational costs, can be either amortized or you can deduct the full cost in the year you open.

But if you choose amortization, certain rules apply:

• The costs must be incurred before you open for business.
• The associated costs must have also incurred if your business had been operating for years

Amortization is somewhat similar to capitalization in that it also involves stretching deductions out over a period of time. You can choose your own amortization period, but when you do, you’re stuck with it. The IRS won’t allow you to change it later. If you decide to amortize costs rather than deduct them outright, it can benefit you in future tax years. It might be an option if your business isn’t bringing in boatloads of income in its startup year but you expect to make a nice profit in future years, so the tax break would be more beneficial then.

Some costs don’t qualify as startup expenses

Some equipment you must purchase is treated as a regular business expense. For example, if you’re opening a landscaping business and you buy a truck, generally you must capitalize and depreciate the cost. Such expenses are treated just the same as they would be if you had been operating your business for decades.

Timing can be important

Timing matters, too. “Startup costs are only deductible if your business does indeed start up,” says Capelli. “And they have to be incurred during the planning and development phase of your business. Otherwise, after that, they become operating expenses.” The flip side to this is that even though your business isn’t operational yet when you incur startup expenses, you can deduct them or begin to deduct them in your first year of business.

Click here for additional information on startup costs.

Click here for a video and information on taking business expenses.

Does this still apply for 2023 and 2024?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, the information entered still applies and you can follow the instruction provided by @LindaS5247.  Be sure to review all of the information she provided.

You can either deduct or amortize start-up expenses once your business begins, meaning you are open and operating your business, rather than filing business taxes with no income. This might be the best decision to reduce your income for self employment taxes (social security and medicare taxes) when your business actually begins. 

@ruthejp13 

Maybe I'm asking this backward and want to clarify. I want to claim expenses (a loss) in 2023 and I won't have income until 2024. I'm good, right?

Thank you Ruthejp13 for the follow-up question.

Actually, I had expenses in both 2022 & 2023. So far no income, but expect some in late 2024. I have not filled out a schedule C or claimed these expenses yet.

Can I wait until filing for 2024, or do I need to report the expenses sooner?

Thank you again,

Myron

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are good.  If you are actively running the business and simply haven't earned income yet, you can deduct your losses against other income.  You do not have to have a profit in order to claim the expenses.  

@ruthejp13 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies