Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmkn566
Returning Member

How do I report K-1 MLP sale that has both long & short term holding periods. There is no separate breakdown of long & short term on sales schedule only totals.

There were 1.5 splits offered on the long term units. How do I figure separate adjustments to basis and ordinary gains for the long term and short term?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I report K-1 MLP sale that has both long & short term holding periods. There is no separate breakdown of long & short term on sales schedule only totals.

I have only sold MLPs that I have owned long term.  But the K-1 includes the Sales Schedule and it will show the ordinary gain so that part goes on the 4797.  So I think the only question is about how to adjust the basis for both long term and short term holdings on MLP for Schedule D reporting.  If that information is not provided on the K-1 I would think you could figure it out be gathering all your K-1s and 1099s from the time you owned the MLP.  I know if I look at my K-1 it will show the distribution for the year in the partner's capital account analysis section.  

Now this part I might be way off on, but I think the basis will also be reduced by the depreciation, but I think that depreciation recapture is what makes up the ordinary gain section.  

I would get all your K-1 and then figure you can calculate the adjustment to basis manually using all the past K-1s and see if that number matches to the Sales Schedule adjustment to basis.   

Let us know what you find.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies