Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been contracting a freelance editor. I will get a W9 and need to send a 1099. I am a sole-proprietor myself. Can TurboTax for self-employed handle all this?

I have been contracting a freelance editor. I will get a W9 and need to send a 1099. I am a sole-proprietor myself. Can TurboTax for self-employed handle all this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Yes---but TT no longer has a version called "Self-Employed."   If you use online software you will need Premium; if you use the CD/download you will want Home and Business.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@geercom wrote:
I am a sole-proprietor myself. Can TurboTax for self-employed handle all this?

Yes. You will need TurboTax Premium if you want to use an online product. 

TurboTax Home & Business if you want to use an installed version of TurboTax.

Yes.  You can use Turbo Tax to prepare a 1099NEC.  You will need to use the Desktop Home & Business program or I think you can still use the Online Premium version.

What do you mean you will get a W9?  If someone gives you a W9 to fill out with your info that means they will send you a 1099NEC to report what they paid you.  You give a blank W9 to someone  you paid for work to get their info so you can give them a 1099NEC.  Do not pay anyone until they give you a W9 with their ssn (or EIN) on it.    

You need to give a 1099NEC to anyone you paid $600 or more to for the year. But not to corporations or for merchandise. You send the IRS a copy of the 1099NEC with the transmittal summary form 1096. These are due to the person by Jan 31 and to the IRS by Jan 31 also.

How to prepare 1099NEC & W2
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/how-do-i-create-w-2-and-1099-forms-in-turbotax/00/25869

Here is a blank W9

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf 

And instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw9.pdf 

So they send me a W9. At the end of the year I use TurboTax Premiere to send them a 1099, and the Fed a copy of the 1099 and the transmital form? Is there any special information I need to fill out their 1099 or the transmital form? 

To get a W9 from them you have to ask them for one.  You can give them a blank one to fill out to give back to you.  You only need their name, address and ssn or EIN if they have one.  

You can prepare W2 and 1099NEC & 1099MISC in either the Desktop Home & Business program or the Online Premium version.

For Online Premium:
Sign in to TurboTax.
Select Tax Home from the left menu (you might already be there).
Scroll down and select Your account.
Select Create W-2s and 1099s.
This will log you in to Quick Employer Forms.
Follow the instructions to create forms online for your employees or contractors.

If you are using the Desktop Home & Business version, Windows and Mac are different. The Mac version only lets you use the Online Quick Employer Forms and efiles the 1099NEC & 1096 Transmittal forms to the IRS.

You can do them 2 different ways from the Windows Desktop Home & Business program. Either Online using Quick Employer Forms (QEF) -or- directly on your computer with the built in W2/1099 Reporter. . If you use the Reporter on your computer you have to mail them to the IRS and not efile.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There are about 20 different kinds of 1099 forms. There is no plain Form 1099. All 1099 forms have one or more letters after the 1099. The one you have to send to your freelance editor is 1099-NEC.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies