turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vhmorcos

I have a small business income ( 3769) on line 1 of my K1 form and a large Net section 1231 gain (143,958) in box 10 -Turbo tax shows me paying taxes on the large amount

the net section 1231 increase came from the sale of property and is reflected in current year increase in the partner's capital account analysis
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I have a small business income ( 3769) on line 1 of my K1 form and a large Net section 1231 gain (143,958) in box 10 -Turbo tax shows me paying taxes on the large amount

The ordinary income (Box 1) and the Net Section 1231 gain would be taxable in the year the business earned this income, regardless of how much of that income you received in cash. The Net Section 1231 gain added to your Schedule D as a long term capital gain.

You would have to pay taxes on this gain, as a disregarded entity passes its tax liabilities over to its owners/ partners/ members.

Your capital account doesn't impact your tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

The ordinary income (Box 1) and the Net Section 1231 gain would be taxable in the year the business earned this income, regardless of how much of that income you received in cash. The Net Section 1231 gain added to your Schedule D as a long term capital gain.

You would have to pay taxes on this gain, as a disregarded entity passes its tax liabilities over to its owners/ partners/ members.

Your capital account doesn't impact your tax return.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I see you posted the same question a while back. Would you please clarify what you don't understand or what doesn't make sense specifically? This income is taxable.
vhmorcos

Thank You -- I think I understand now -- I assume the increase in net gain ( Box 10 ) is taxed this year though the distribution of some of this gain  ( approx. 1/3 ) will be next year and presumably tax free --- is this correct ?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies