turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my business taxes (S-Corp) using Turbotax Business?

My husband and I started a new business in October 2014, established the company as an S-Corp. Can we use TurboTax Business to file our taxes?  I have an accountant but since we just started and really only have a few thousand in expenses I was hoping we could do this ourselves as there is no income for 2014 and minimal expenses. I was advised by someone else that I could not do this in TurboTax business because we were an S Corp as of October 27, 2014; however, when I look at the description for Turbotax business, S-Corp is listed so want to make sure this is correct and that I can file the business taxes using Turbotax Business. S

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Can we use TurboTax Business to file our taxes?

Yes, you can. To prepare a corporate, trust or partnership return you would need Turbotax Business.  This is a separate program from Turbotax Home and Business.  TT Business is a program only available for desktop use (there is no on-line version.)  See http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Turbotax Business will prepare

Form 1120-S for S-Corporations
     Form 1120 for C-Corporations
     Form 1041 for Estate or Trusts, and
     Form 1065 for Partnerships

To prepare a personal return, depending on it's complexity, you will need a version that prepares Forms 1040 such as Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, etc.   If you have a Schedule K-1 from either a Form 1120-S, Form 1065 or Form 1041 you will need either the Premier version or (if you also have an unincorporated business) the Home and Business version.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
pdee

Do you have to file a business income tax for S corp and claim income/loss on your personal taxes with a K1?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Yes - that's the way S-Corporations work.
davbrant

my s corporation was established in 2017 but I did not use turbotax business in 2017 can I use it in 2018
davbrant

what if I got a S corporation acceptance in 2017 but used home and business turbo tax to file my 2017 taxes  can I use the turbo tax business to file 2018 taxes
davbrant

if I use turbo tax business for my s corporation how do I file personal income tax
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Can we use TurboTax Business to file our taxes?

Yes, you can. To prepare a corporate, trust or partnership return you would need Turbotax Business.  This is a separate program from Turbotax Home and Business.  TT Business is a program only available for desktop use (there is no on-line version.)  See http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Turbotax Business will prepare

Form 1120-S for S-Corporations
     Form 1120 for C-Corporations
     Form 1041 for Estate or Trusts, and
     Form 1065 for Partnerships

To prepare a personal return, depending on it's complexity, you will need a version that prepares Forms 1040 such as Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, etc.   If you have a Schedule K-1 from either a Form 1120-S, Form 1065 or Form 1041 you will need either the Premier version or (if you also have an unincorporated business) the Home and Business version.

BKA0

I have a similar situation...I started a S-corp in oct 2014 but the corp had zero income. Can I just use a K-1 form and 1120 forms from IRS website, fill it with zero entries and send it to IRS?
On my regular income, I have been using TTAX for past 15years...so, I feel comfortable using Premier to do that. As part of my regular income, I got couple of W-2s as well as 1099 for consulting works. I would like to deduct my expenses on leasing a car, health care cobra expenses...is Premier good or should I get Home/Business TTAX?

How can we ask TT Business to offer an online version versus just a desktop version?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

That issue has come up before and Turbotax indicates they have no plans to develop and on-line version of the program.

(And - having prepared corporate returns, I wouldn't want to use an on-line program that doesn't have forms view like other on-line versions don't.)

do you know of any online program that offers corporate returns?
dsha06

Why is TT Business only available for Windows? What's up with that? Do you have a Mac version I don't know about?
seedsmgmt

Do I have to purchase TurboTax Business every year? We used it last year to file. $159.99* ??
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Can I just use a K-1 form and 1120 forms from IRS website, fill it with zero entries and send it to IRS?

You can do that but make sure you download a Form 1120-S for an S-Corporation.  An 1120 is for a regular corporation.

is Premier good or should I get Home/Business TTAX?

Because of the consulting business you would need Home and Business.  Premier will not create business schedules.

sobjax

Agreed, all other versions are available for both platforms.  I'd like to know about Mac as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies