Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ckahle99

I have a carry forward loss from a company that is now a C-corp. How do I include their loss from last year on this year's tax return (form 8995, line 3)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a carry forward loss from a company that is now a C-corp. How do I include their loss from last year on this year's tax return (form 8995, line 3)?

What are you talking about ?   Did you change from an S-Corp to a C-Corp ?  

Under Regs. Sec. 1. 199A - 1 (d) (2) (iii) (B), the negative overall QBI amount carries forward to the succeeding year and is treated as arising from a separate trade or business. Those losses carry over indefinitely until completely offset by positive QBI. A C-corp does not have QBI. so that loss can't be used until you have QBI from another souce. 

ckahle99

I do have K1s from other companies.  My question related to how I enter last year's carry forward loss into TurboTax.  This is my first year using TurboTax, so still finding my way around. 

I spoke over the phone with a support person at TurboTax.  They were very helpful and it turns out it doesn't matter that I no longer receive a K1 from the company that generated the original loss (they converted from an S-corp to a C-corp). 

Last year's carry loss forward is entered as follows:   

• Click on Wages and Income -> Other Business situations -> Net Operating Loss/QBI Carryforward Loss
    • Leave Net Operating Loss for prior year blank
    • Under Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers
      • Enter the value from last year’s Form 8995, line 16
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies