david_a_straight

I have 1099-NEC documents - Where do these go?

I'm a sole proprietor.  I've received 1099-NEC forms - but, Turbo tax has only input for a 1099-MISC forms.  They seem different.  Example: box 1 of the 1099-MISC for is not the same as box 1 of the 1099-NEC form.   

DawnC

Both programs (online and desktop) work the same.   To delete a Form 1099-MISC, use the SEARCH function in the upper right corner and search for 1099-misc and use the Jump to 1099-misc link.   You will see a list and you can delete from there.   Not all 1099-MISC are business related so they all go to Common Income and then if they are linked to a business, TurboTax will transfer that income to a business schedule.   @david_a_straight

david_a_straight

Anyone?  

@david_a_straight wrote:

Anyone?  

See this TurboTax support FAQ for entering self-employment income - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/01/...

david_a_straight

What I don't get is why isn't there a place for the 1099-NEC in the business area?  The Business area only has the 1099-MISC.  Then, I noticed in the Personal Income area (after I finished up Business) you can enter a 1099-NEC.      But, I already entered my business income into the 1099-MISC (even though I actually have a 1099-NEC).  If I enter the 1099-NEC then I'll double my income (I would think anyway) - so then I'd need to delete the 1099-MISC form in the Business area.   Not sure if that will change my deductions.    Something seems amiss.  

What should I do?

LinaJ2020

Delete the 1099-MISC by following these steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the left menu, select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 1099-MISC and Continue with My Return

Then you will need to enter the information in both Form 1099-NEC and Schedule C sections.  You would start from the 1099-NEC section under "1099-MISC and Other Common Income".  You would then follow prompts to tell the program you are filing a Schedule C.  As it creates a Schedule C for you, you will need to go to the Schedule C portion separately to confirm your income amount, add related expenses and complete required information. 

In TurboTax online, here are the steps: 

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in 1099nec and Enter
  • Select the Jump to 1099nec
  • Follow prompts to complete the section

Then 

• From the upper right menu, select Search and type in schedule c and Enter
  • Select the Jump to schedule c
  • Next screen, "Your 2020 work summary" under your self employed business, select Review
  • Continue to enter related expenses and other required information

@david_a_straight

david_a_straight

I never put my taxes online.   I've got a program (TurboTax) downloaded on my Mac.    In that program I don't see a way of deleting the 1099-MISC form.  And, it is still perplexing that the only place for the 1099-MISC is NOT in the business area.    Weird.

DawnC