turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a small business. When I put my 1099 misc in Schedule C, it adds it into regular income too. If I delete it from regular income, it deletes it from Schedule C.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I have a small business. When I put my 1099 misc in Schedule C, it adds it into regular income too. If I delete it from regular income, it deletes it from Schedule C.

If you have a 1099-MISC box 7 non-employee compensation, enter the form under the business section. The IRS considers this self-employed income.

If you enter the form in the Other Common Income section, TurboTax will ask you to link it to the Schedule C or E that the income belongs to. Errors can occur if not linked at point of entry. For best results, enter under the income section, either business (schedule c) or rentals (schedule e).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Net income from a schedule C is added to your regular income. If you have business expenses, then enter in the business section.

Sorry. I'm confused. Should I delete it from Schedule C and just report it in regular income? I already reported expenses on Sch C.  thx!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you have a 1099-MISC box 7, then it belongs with the schedule C and that gets added to your regular income. Enter the 1099-MISC in the business section (sch. C)  and not in Other Common Income. Enter the document in one place.

Let me know if that helps.

thanks. It's so confusing because if I enter it into the Schedule C it shows up under regular income. I didn't have this trouble last year!

I figured it out. I didn't mark than it was in box 7.

I discovered I had reported the income as in box 3 so changed it to box 7. I removed it from regular income and added to schedule c, but it shows right back up in regular income again. It didn't do this last year!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It will show up in two places in the program, but it should only show on line 12 of the 1040. Verify: Select Tax Tools, Tools, View tax summary, Preview my 1040 (left black panel). If you see the entry anywhere else than line 12, check to see that only 1 1099-Misc form is entered. Tax Tools, Tools, Delete A Form. Scroll list to verify 1 1099-MISC. If more than one, delete 1 that is not under the Schedule C

thx!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yay! I will summarize in answer below.

You have been so very helpful! Usually turbotax gives me no trouble, but this year it was counter-intuitive.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you. You are welcome. I'm glad it worked out :).
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you have a 1099-MISC box 7 non-employee compensation, enter the form under the business section. The IRS considers this self-employed income.

If you enter the form in the Other Common Income section, TurboTax will ask you to link it to the Schedule C or E that the income belongs to. Errors can occur if not linked at point of entry. For best results, enter under the income section, either business (schedule c) or rentals (schedule e).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies