turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eg75
Level 2

Where in Turbo Tax Premier do I get an MLP K-1 2018 SALES SCHEDULE column 7 RECAPUTRE posted to line 9 of the 1040 to take the appropriate business deduction?

Hi.  My question is about reporting an MLP "GAIN SUBJECT TO RECAPTURE AS ORDINARY INCOME" which is shown on column 7 of the "2018 SALES SCHEDULE" of the K-1 sent to me by Magellan Midstates Partners, LP.  The note for Column 7 says that I can also post it to line 9 of the 1040.  Where in Turbo Tax Desktop Premier do I get this posted to line 9 of the 1040 to take the Qualified business income deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Where in Turbo Tax Premier do I get an MLP K-1 2018 SALES SCHEDULE column 7 RECAPUTRE posted to line 9 of the 1040 to take the appropriate business deduction?

"2018 Sales Schedule" makes sense only to the partnership's return preparer, not us.

The IRS expects 199A QBI information to be in the K-1 Box 20 Codes Z-AD. Does your K-1 not have that?
The partnership cannot determine the allowed QBI deduction of its partners since that is computed at the individual partner level based on each partner's unique tax scenario (taxable income, etc.)
eg75
Level 2

Thanks. Box 20 includes an AD with is a -$4,000.  The gain subject to recapture as ordinary income in Column 7 of the 2018 sales schedule is a whopping $25,000!  That is raising my income but seems to reduce capital gains, which is real bad for me.  Do I really need to post that to Part II line 10 of Form 4979 and Form 8949 of Column G as mentioned on the sales schedule?
eg75
Level 2

I did find out that I have to use the QBI worksheet 12-A.
eg75
Level 2

Oh.  You don't know about the Sales Schedule.  Ok.  Got it.  Thanks!

There's a bug in TT.  It has the logic to deal with this in the interview, but it doesn't.  See this answer for how to trigger it to grab the Ord Gain from the sale:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4689809-how-does-turbotax-add-ptp-ordinary-gain-into-the-qbi-deduc...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

how can I report 'gain subject to recapture as ordinary income' in Turbotax 2019 premier?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If in your Turbo Tax the gain as a sale of a business whether it be Real Estate or other disposal assets, Turbo Tax will automatically handle the recapture for you. What kind of property was this?

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ordinary business income  $-2631

gain subject to recapture as ordinary income $4293

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Just a couple a questions to ask:

1. Is this a sale of business property or reported on a K1?
  2. If a sale from business property, is it something that had been reported in the past and Turbo Tax has been keeping track on depreciation or is this the first year you used Turbo Tax. 
  3. This would be difficult to answer without additional background information.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies