How to handle Sale of Business
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to handle Sale of Business

I have a rather complicated (to me anyway) question about the sale of a business which I was a LLC partner in.

I started the business in the early 2000's.   Around 2009 I sold 51% of the business to a partner.  The original entailed the creation of a completely new LLC with the old LLC being dissolved.  The partner paid me cash for the 51% of the old business and I contributed my remaining 49% to the new LLC (value pegged at the valuation of the business in 2009).  This contribution was noted and tracked in my capital account in the new LLC.

I paid taxes on the money I received in 2009 for the 51% as a long term capital gain (I had held the LLC since around year 2000.  

Fast forward to early 2018.  Another company bought 100% of the LLC that was created in 2009.  I was paid in cash again for my remaining 49% which had risen in value since the deal in 2009.  When I did my taxes, I paid capital gains on what I received in cash in 2018 minus the value in my LLC capital account (which I looked at as my cost basis in the new LLC).  

Does this all sound correct?

1 Reply
Level 3

How to handle Sale of Business

That sounds logical and correct to me. Well done!

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings