turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stephgg32

How to file taxes for a LLC in Texas that is a partnership but not with a spouse.

My step-dad and I have a LLC in Texas.  It's just rental properties. It's equal partnership. How do we file?  I was told the sch-c is just listed as my name and no LLC company or partnership.  I was told I had to file a 1065 U.S. Return of partnership Income using the LLC name and your partner.

1 Reply
ThomasM

How to file taxes for a LLC in Texas that is a partnership but not with a spouse.

Yes, your multi-member LLC requires its own tax return be filed (Form 1065, Partnership return).  You won't file it on a Schedule C.

You'll need TurboTax Business software to file the partnership return.  It's available in CD/Download only, and is Windows based.  Here's a link:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/?srqs=null&cid=ppc_gg_b_stan_all_na_Brand-Business_...

The filing deadline for partnerships who are on a calendar year was March 15.  Fiscal year filers have a deadline of the 15th day of the 3rd month following the end of the fiscal year.  So if you're on a calendar year, your return will be late and subject to a penalty of $195 per month multiplied by the number of partners.

However, here's a well-written article on IRS Revenue Procedure 84-35 which allows for a penalty waiver that's automatic under certain criteria: https://pdxcpa.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/partnership-late-filing-penalty-2014-update/. The article is from 2014, so ignore any reference to the old filing deadline of April 15.

Finally, once you've prepared the partnership return, each partner should be issued a Schedule K-1 (for his share) which he'll then use to prepare his personal tax return.  You'll need TurboTax Premier online to prepare your 1040, since it will support the K-1. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies