turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjbcasey

How do I see the entries I have made in IRS format, for example 1040 and Schedule E?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

How do I see the entries I have made in IRS format, for example 1040 and Schedule E?

In TurboTax online, the only actual tax form that you can preview before paying / filing is the main Form 1040 itself.  This is different than TurboTax desktop, where you can view any form at any time.  The reason for this, unfortunately, is to prevent a certain few users from having TurboTax create their complete tax returns, and then copying down all those numbers onto blank IRS tax forms, thus circumventing the payment process.  If everyone did that all of the time, we would have no revenue, as a company we could not pay our employees, and as consequence there would be no TurboTax software.  We do apologize for the inconvenience that creates for all of our honest online customers; but we hope you can see the need for this blanket policy.

That said, Schedule E is created automatically by the software, once a rental property, royalty property, or a K-1 for partnership, S-corp, or Trust is added to the primary tax return.

If you're using TurboTax online, then most customers don't even know about the existence of the Schedule E until they finalize, file, and print their tax return.  In TurboTax desktop, the Schedule E tax form can be viewed and observed directly during income tax preparation.

That said, you do have the ability to preview your Form 1040 itself in TurboTax online, and in doing so you can confirm the total taxable amount of your Schedule E income by looking at Line 17.  In other words, you can infer the existence of Schedule E by looking for the evidence of its output. (Please enlarge the image at the bottom of this answer for a visual aid to finding Line 17 on your 1040)  The 1040 itself can be opened in TurboTax online by following the instructions found at this link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

However, if this answer does not tell you what you wish to know, if you have further questions, or encounter any difficulties, or just want to speak with a live tax expert who can walk you through your TurboTax entries (including the ability to screen-share with your computer), please feel free to contact us.  We would be happy to help you (and as a paying TurboTax customer, the call is free to you).  Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this important question
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies