turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmdoak

How do I prepare a Form 1065 in TurboTax Home & Business edition?

I need to prepare a Form 1065 for an LLC created in 2015, so that the K-1 will be produced to carry over to the 1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

"How do I prepare a Form 1065 in TurboTax Home & Business edition?"

You will not be able to prepare a Form 1065 with TurboTax Home & Business; the product is not capable of preparing an income tax return for an entity, such as a multi-member LLC. 

Rather, you need TurboTax Business (link below), which is a different product than TurboTax Home & Business. Note, however, that you will also need a personal income tax preparation product since TurboTax Business is not capable of preparing individual income tax returns.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

So why on the "Forms" section for the Home & Business product does it list Form 1065????

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/home-and-business.jsp#tax-forms

@cetanorak wrote:

So why on the "Forms" section for the Home & Business product does it list Form 1065????

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/home-and-business.jsp#tax-forms

There is NOT a Form 1065 listed in the Home & Business edition. 

There is a Schedules K-1 (Form 1065).  A Schedule K-1 from a partnership tax return Form 1065, is not a Form 1065.

kal117

TurboTax is a joke. Why the hell would Home and Business NOT include every feature TT Business includes? Absolutely ridiculous. Just found this out this morning as I am trying to file a Form 1065 for the first time. TT is garbage.

I am closing a llc business. How to prepare the form 1065 form my final return

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You need TurboTax Business to file Form 1065.   When you prepare Form 1065, K-1s will be generated for each partner and those partners will use those K-1s to report on their personal returns.   You need TurboTax Premier or higher (personal tax product) for returns containing a K-1.

Only single member LLCs that use Schedule C can be prepared using Home & Business or TurboTax Self-Employed.    @intercom28

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC 

The 2020 version of Home and Business is advising that if a married couple owns an LLC equally, they don't have to file the partnership return. Rather, we would split our income and expenses and file as separate businesses. Is this correct? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

That is true in many instances, the main requirement being that both spouses need to materially participate in the business. You can read more about it here:

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2020/mar/married-taxpayers-jointly-owned-business.html

Thanks, @ThomasM125 !!

I signed up for Home and Business because -- as someone else pointed out -- it showed the 1065 form as a feature. We own the LLC together, so in reading your link, it looks like we don't qualify for that option anyway, right? 

Also, we didn't make any money on the LLC in 2020... we just racked up expenses, so I'm trying to limit the amount of $$ I spend on this, but it looks like if I want to get this right, I'll need to use TurboTax Business for the partnership form -- then come back and file the personal on Home and Business? Is that right?

Thanks again for your help!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you are in a community property state and elect to file the LLC as detailed in Thomas's link, as a Qualified Joint Venture (excerpt copied below), you would file 2 separate Schedule Cs, one for you and one for your wife and you would only need TurboTax Home and Business (personal product).    For non-community-property states, you file the LLC on Form 1065, and yes, you would use TurboTax Business (not home and business) to prepare the Form 1065 and the software will generate the two K-1 forms that you will enter on your personal tax return using Home & Business, later.   You will need to do the Form 1065 before your personal return because you will need the K-1s.    The 2 Schedule Cs route will require only one program whereas the LLC 1065 route requires both programs be purchased.   

Election for Married Couples Unincorporated Businesses - IRS document - this should help you to decide which route you should (or can) take.   Partnerships and LLC (as community property) entities may qualify for the election on the federal return, but each state has its own tax laws.   State taxing authority links.    In the husband and wife’s LLC Operating Agreement (the document which lists who owns the LLC, among other things), instead of listing the membership interests as “John Smith, 50%” and “Molly Smith, 50%”, it’ll be listed as  “John and Molly Smith 100%”.   

Here is another informative article on the subject from the Journal of Accountancy.   LLC owned solely by spouses: A partnership or a joint venture?

From Thomas's Journal of Accountancy link - '''Unincorporated businesses owned by more than one person normally are required to file a partnership tax return.  However, there is a specific exception for qualified joint ventures when that status is elected under Sec. 761(f). Under this provision, a qualified joint venture consists of a partnership whose only partners are spouses who file a joint tax return and who both materially participate in the business. 

Businesses that meet the definition of qualified joint venture may elect to file two Schedules C,  Schedules E, or Schedules F, with the couple's joint tax return, instead of filing a partnership tax return.  Each Schedule C or F should report one half of the business income and expenses for each spouse. The purpose of reporting half the income or loss for each spouse is to properly allocate self-employment income, and self-employment tax, to each spouse which generates credits in the Social Security system.

Given the additional effort involved in filing two Schedule C or F forms, some businesses may decide it is easier to file a single Form 1065 partnership tax return and report the business on a pair of Schedules K-1, Partner's Share of Income, Deduction, Credit, etc., on Schedule E.'''   @CTBRDCC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Although the names may be similar, TurboTax Business and Home & Business are 2 completely separate products.   Home and Business is for PERSONAL tax returns, but you can include multiple Schedule C unincorporated single member entities on a personal tax return.   All other business returns need their own tax return prepared from a Business software.  Anyone that has to use the Business software will also need  a personal tax product for their personal return.   Only single member sole props, Schedule Cs, or Qualified Joint Ventures can be filed on a personal return.  And those are IRS's rules, not TurboTax's.   @kal117

[Edited 05/05/21]

I closed my business in 2021, but received residual incomes. I understand that I need to file a Form 1065. Where do it get that form?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If the business was closed and the last Form 1065 filed was marked as final you can include the income on the partner (or partners) returns who own the income. Report it based on the type of income.  If you are no longer in business you can use the steps below to enter the income as 'Other Income':

1. Click Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income and scroll down to Less Common Income
  2. Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  3. Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  4. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" > yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.
  5. TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download will use the same procedure.

If you did not file your final partnership return (Form 1065) you can do that by hand using the IRS forms or you can use TurboTax Business software. Only individual returns can be completed in TurboTax Home & Business CD/Download.

@Torvic2022

Thank you!

How do I submit it to IRS?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The Instructions for Form 1065 have the submission information for you to send in your return.

Please see Form 1065 for more information.

@Torvic2022

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies