How do I find the sale category on my 1099-B form?

There may not be actual boxes marked A, B, C etc. on your Form 1099-B, but the information should be on the statement somewhere. (Sometimes it is really hard to spot!)  For example, sometimes it will list "Box D Long-Term Realized Gain" in the summary section.  Or it may list "Box A" at the top of the stock sale listings.

If you are unable to locate the Sale Category on your Form 1099-B, it isn't too difficult to figure out.  

The Sale Category is determined by two factors:

1. Basis reported (Covered) or Basis Not Reported (Non-Covered)
  2. Holding period (Long-term or Short-term)

You can use the Box Descriptions below to figure out your Sale Category.

For example, if your stock basis is reported to the IRS on the Form 1099-B, and the stock's holding period was longer than one year, you would select box D as your sales category - a long-term sale with the cost basis reported to the IRS. 

Box A - Short-term Covered - Short-terms sales with cost basis reported to the IRS

Box B - Short-term Noncovered -  Short-term sales with cost basis NOT reported to the IRS

Box C - Short-term Not reported -  Short-term sales not reported to the IRS

Box D - Long-term  Covered - Long-term sales with cost basis reported to the IRS

Box E - Long-term Noncovered - Long-term sales with cost basis NOT reported to the IRS

Box F - Long-term Not reported - Long-term sales not reported to the IRS

Box X - Holding period and cost basis NOT reported to the IRS