mtippin

How do I e-file a "Superseded" 1120S return?

I e-filed my original 1120S return earlier today and then realized shortly after that I made a mistake. I went through the (obscure) process to created an amended 1120S return, but TurboTax won't let me eFile it.

My understanding is that a "superseded" return is one filed prior to the filing deadline; after that it becomes and "amended" return. I see no options in TurboTax to file a "superseded" return - though it would appear that other tax prep software has that option.

Am I stuck waiting until after the March 15 due date and then filing an Amended return? Will TurboTax let me e-file the amended return after that date? Can I re-print my amended Schedule K-1 and use it on my personal return prior to filing my amended 1120S (and accompanying K-1)?

JulieH1

You can file a Superseded return in TurboTax, but not electronically.   Once you have made the corrections, you can reprint your K-1 and use on your personal return.  If you have other shareholders, you have to amend their K-1s also.

You cannot efile an amended return either.  You will have to mail it either way.

You would have to print and mail it in with the word "Superseded" across the top instead of putting an "X" in the amended bow.

You would do it the same way as an amended for below, but just write that on the top.  Per the IRS: "You will not see a checkbox or selection entitled “Superseding Return” available on the paper forms."

Amending a Corporate or S Corporation Return
  • To amend a tax return for a corporation, file form 1120x.
  • To amend taxes for an S corporation, create a copy of the original return (on Form 1120S), and check Box H-4 (Amended Return) on the copy. Then use the copy to make the changes to the return, and re-file.

If the change results in a change to shareholder information, you must also file an amended Schedule K-1 and give a copy of the amended K-1 to the shareholder. Make a copy of the original K-1 and check the correct box to indicate that it is an amended K-1. Then make the necessary changes.

JulieH1

mtippin

So you're saying to just make the corrections to my 1120S in TurboTax, print out "all required forms for filing" and write "SUPERSEDED" at the top? Or do I print the original and mark up the corrections in pen on the printed pages?
JulieH1

The first.  I do corporate taxes and do this very often.  It will be fine:)
bill334

I have the same situation.  Turbotax will let me create and print an Amended return with the Amended checkbox checked.  

Do you print out the Amended return from Turbotax and then write SUPERSEDED RETURN along the top?

i'm concerned that the return is then marked both Superseded and Amended (by the checkbox).  Will this work?  Or is there a better way????  Thanks
fanfare

" Turbotax will let me create and print an Amended return"  don't do that.
TTax-User1

Question: When amending form 1120S, the TurboTax Software includes form 8453-S along with the printed documents that are to be mailed in when submitting the amended form 1120S. My understanding is that form 8453S if for e-file only. It says at the top of the page "File electronically with the corporation's tax return. Do not file paper copies". Should I sign and mail in this document anyway, or is there another document that must be signed for mailed in paper forms? The TurboTax software will not allow me to e-file, so I am printing and paper filing the amendment.
Chasgkatg

I am really upset with Turbotax. They brag on how great they are but have not addressed this problem. It has existed since mid 2019. Here I am in September 2020 and the updates still do not fix it!