turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deb3

How do I check my Schedule D - where do I find it?

I am using the self-employed Turbo Tax version - it is not free.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

To be brought to the Schedule D (Investment Income) section of TurboTax, here are the steps to follow:  

From within your federal return, type "Schedule D" in the search field at the righthand top of the screen.  Select "Jump To Schedule D" and you will be brought to this section of TurboTax.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JulieCo

To be brought to the Schedule D (Investment Income) section of TurboTax, here are the steps to follow:  

From within your federal return, type "Schedule D" in the search field at the righthand top of the screen.  Select "Jump To Schedule D" and you will be brought to this section of TurboTax.

katefman

How can I find Schedule D in Turbo Tax?  The information to enter it Schedule D is fine. but there is not selection to " Jump to Schedule D"

@katefman wrote:

How can I find Schedule D in Turbo Tax?  The information to enter it Schedule D is fine. but there is not selection to " Jump to Schedule D"

Schedule D is completed by the TurboTax program when you enter investment sales.

To enter an investment sale from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B), click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

sweitzron
Returning Member

I sold some shares of my own company which I must pay capital gains tax on but I can't get to schedule D because I haven't received any of the 1099 forms listed to allow me to move forward in Turbotax. What do I do.

Thanks

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online Premium, enter a sale of an investment by following these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Investments and Savings and click the down arrow to the right.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Add investments.
  • At the screen Let's import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • Click on Stock, Bonds, Mutual funds. Click  Continue.
  • At the screen Which bank or brokerage is on your 1099-B, enter the information. Click Continue.
  • Do these sales include any employee stock, click No.
  • Do you have more than three sales on your 1099-B, click No.
  • Do these sales include any other types of investments, click No.
  • Did you buy every investment listed on your 1099-B, click Yes.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Now, choose how to enter your sales, select One by one.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Look for your sales on your 1099-B, click Continue.
  • At the screen Now enter one sale, enter information. Click Continue.
  • Repeat as necessary by clicking  Add another sale.  Click Continue.

@sweitzron 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sweitzron
Returning Member

These were my own shares of my own company. There were no brokers or 1099s.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You can still enter the sale of shares of your company stock in the Investments section of TurboTax if you don't have a Form 1099-B. Enter a description in the spaces provided; enter your basis in the stock sold as well as the sale price, and identify a date acquired or "various" so that it can be classified as short-term or long-term.

Watch for the screen "Let us know if any of these situations apply to this sale". If applicable, select "This was a small business stock".

See this help article for more information.

sweitzron
Returning Member

Thanks. 

I was able to enter everything. The income received was the last item I entered on the Federal tax return including all deductions.  When I finished entering the gain it was taxed at 19.6 % instead of the 15% I was anticipating with my combined income below $500,000. Do you have any idea why that would happen and how I can change it.  They were long term gains from 2 companies owned for more than 10 years.

Thanks

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Ultimately, the capital gain or loss on Schedule D is combined with other income and loss to compute the total tax on Form 1040. 

You have to look at the worksheet that was used to calculate your tax liability.   On your Form 1040 Wks (worksheet) look under Line 15, at the Tax Smart Worksheet, it will show the worksheet you need to reference to see your tax calculation.   In the example below, you have to look at the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax worksheet to see the calculation.  Check your Form 1040 worksheet to see which tax worksheet to reference - it will be included in your tax return to review.   @sweitzron 

sweitzron
Returning Member

Thanks

I was able to see how all the incomes and gains were handled.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies