turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter, as a self employed business owner, my medicare and supplemental health insurance information onto schedule 1, line 29 of the Form 1040?

The insurance expense was incurred by the self-employed business owners.  We are an S Corporation.  What do we have to do to get this information on Schedule 1 line 29.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I enter, as a self employed business owner, my medicare and supplemental health insurance information onto schedule 1, line 29 of the Form 1040?

In TurboTax Home & Business, you enter your health insurance premiums you paid when you enter the K-1 you received from the S-Corp.

When entering your K-1, continue the TurboTax interview until you arrive at the page Other situations where you can check the box saying that you paid for health insurance (see attached screenshot). On the next page, you can enter the amount you paid and TurboTax will transfer it to line 29 of Schedule 1 of form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Home & Business, you enter your health insurance premiums you paid when you enter the K-1 you received from the S-Corp.

When entering your K-1, continue the TurboTax interview until you arrive at the page Other situations where you can check the box saying that you paid for health insurance (see attached screenshot). On the next page, you can enter the amount you paid and TurboTax will transfer it to line 29 of Schedule 1 of form 1040.

Hi There, I am using 2018 turbo tax premier version, I followed the exact same steps and the amount from my schedule K-1 line 13 M still flows through to itemized deductions worksheet and not to Schedule 1 line 29.  I am taking standard deduction this year so I have no schedule A.
Do you think this is a limitation of Turbo tax premier as compared to Business and Home version?

Please help!!! and thank you.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The amount in line 13 M of your Schedule K-1 (form 1065) will flow to line 29 of Schedule only if you have a positive net earnings from employment reported on line 14 A (and will be limited to the amount in 14 A).

Ok thank  makes a lot more sense, too bad I was able to itemize it as deduction in 2017, but due to the tax reform I was forced to take standard deduction, therefore losing it.
Thank you so much for all your help Minh!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies