laurenpaigeraine

Hi! I am a full time performer and claimed to be a qualified performing artist...but now am unsure if I should have! I have already filed...what should I do?

Vanessa

The IRS defines a Qualified Performing Artist as follows:

• Performed services in the performing arts as an employee for at least two employers during the tax year,
  • Received from at least two of those employers wages of $200 or more per employer,
  • Had allowable business expenses attributable to the performing arts of more than 10% of gross income from the performing arts, and
  • Had adjusted gross income of $16,000 or less before deducting expenses as a performing artist.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i2106#idm139890380073216

If you do not meet the above criteria, then you will need to Amend Your Return once it has been accepted by the IRS.  The Amended forms are expected to be available in TurboTax Online around February 7th.    It can take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return. 

Remember, when you are filing the Amended Return, you will need to print and mail the 1040X as it is NOT able to be e-filed.

Vanessa

laurenpaigeraine

It has been accepted. What if my refund gets issued?
Vanessa

Then you will just need to send back any over payment.  When you amend, it will tell you the amount.