Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jjustquicken
Returning Member

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

I just tried uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling TurboTax for Home and Business 2023. Did not help.

The problem may be that I ordered and downloaded from Amazon and I believe I'm downloading the same version that I got back in November when I first got it. Not the latest version. Problem when purchasing from Amazon.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

TurboTax should run updates each time you open the desktop program, regardless of where the original software was purchased. You can confirm you have the latest updates after you open your return. Go to Online in the TurboTax menu (black bar at the top) and choose "Check for updates." You can also "View installed updates" to confirm your installation is up to date.

@jjustquicken 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 3800 does not apply for me - Why doesn't TT ask the question ....Do you have any business credits? Then walk you through the key questions then determine if you need a form 3800?

The software is holding everyone with a business schedule C hostage - even when the credits don't apply.

Something is wrong with the logic in the software - a late form 3800 update is not the reason for the delay!

42sara

It's past February 28 and it's still not fixed the schedule C small business and farming, employee credit do I go somewhere else to file this year or is this problem gonna be fixed

You need to "Check for updates" and install them. Then you should be able to file with no problems.

Worked for me!

if youy are using the online version, how can you update it to be able to file.  I'm still waiting and now the date is 3/13/2024. We should get a refund for the discounted price since it is not our fault we cant file yet

gipsonc79

Found a possible work around for those in the same boat as me that are not getting any help from TT, and not even claiming the credit on form 8881.  Go into the credits and deductions section for your business and remove the amount from the pension line.  Move it down to the Misc line and put in pension as the deduction.  Should break the hold that Turbo Tax has on your filing waiting for a pointless update to their forms.

YES! This worked for me!

WOW Thank you so much, this actually did work.!!!

jjustquicken
Returning Member

TurboTax appears to have been updated today so it includes Forms 3800 and 8881. Hurray. I also received a major tax credit for my employer pension plan contribution to an employee making less than $100K!

wow i hate turbo tax

@dpalermo45 Go to this IRS website for various venders who support Free File - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

jjustquicken
Returning Member

THE PROBLEM IS FIXED NOW (Windows Desktop version and I suspect all versions) . I just filled smoothly. Furthermore I got a huge tax credit for pension plan contributions that wasn't there before.  While TurboTax communications and tech support on this issue could have been vastly better, the huge tax credit was a wonderful surprise and well worth the wait.

I am asking a favor of those who gave up and went to another vendor. In theory as reported here some are now able to process and get a tax benefit. If you had your return complete but were blocked by an incomplete form , please update TT to the cured version and see how  the separate programs compare. Please report what you find, good and bad.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies