Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sssergsss

Formed SMLLC in Jan and now filed 2553. Should chart of accounts change to reflect S-Corp structure?

I started a Single Member LLC company in Jan and setup Quick Books to reflect that structure, Owner versus shareholder etc.  In March I filed 2553 for S-Corp tax election.  Do I need to change my QB structure to reflect S-Corp accounts (shareholder versus owner), etc. or do I leave everything as is?  Am I correct in assuming that even though I filed form 2553 I am still legally a SMLLC not an S-Corp?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Formed SMLLC in Jan and now filed 2553. Should chart of accounts change to reflect S-Corp structure?

The only addition you would need to make is for salaries (both officer and employees if you have some) and your federal and state tax liability accounts. You do not need to change the names to Shareholder unless you want to (I recommend that you do). You should also set up a Shareholders distribution/contribution account if you do not have one. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

The only addition you would need to make is for salaries (both officer and employees if you have some) and your federal and state tax liability accounts. You do not need to change the names to Shareholder unless you want to (I recommend that you do). You should also set up a Shareholders distribution/contribution account if you do not have one. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sssergsss

I use a 3rd party payroll service.  Any chance you can detail the accounts you would suggest?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies