seganz

Form 1041 line 20 exemption - I was expecting the trust exemption to be $300 but it autofills 100. Is this a mistake, if so, how can I correct it.

I reviewed the IRS directions and for a trust that distributes all it's income, the exemption continues to be $300.

tagteam

"Is this a mistake, if so, how can I correct it."

If the trust instrument requires that you, presumably as trustee, distribute all of the income currently, then the trust is entitled to a $300 exemption, regardless of whether the trust distributes additional amounts.

The problem is TurboTax assumes the trust is entitled to a $100 exemption if the trust is a complex trust and a $300 exemption if the trust is a simple trust and that is incorrect. You can, however, change the $100 exemption amount in Forms Mode by simply entering "300" in place of "100" directly on Form 1041 (see screenshot). 

tagteam

FlatTax-Advocate

Turbo Tax also ADDS that number to income.  Shouldn't an exemption be subtracted from income?
tagteam

Yes, and TurboTax subtracts the exemption (along with other deductions) from Line 9, Total income.
holmes0wr

My 1041 leaves line 20 blank.  This is for an estate.  Why doesn't TT give me the $600 exemption?
tagteam

Enter Forms Mode and look at your 1041. Make sure the correct box is checked.