Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 boxA: I'm filing a complex trust initial+final return, TT chked box, OK. But TT also asked dad died lastYR, YES on 03/27, but TT isn't chking Decedent's Estate?

Shouldn't Turbo tax have checked both boxes, COMPLEX and DECENDENT's ESTATE?  My dad died, I want the IRS to understand that this is the last return on this trust tin#.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 1041 boxA: I'm filing a complex trust initial+final return, TT chked box, OK. But TT also asked dad died lastYR, YES on 03/27, but TT isn't chking Decedent's Estate?

" My dad died, I want the IRS to understand that this is the last return on this trust tin#."

I am very sorry for your loss. 

It is important to understand that a nongrantor trust and an estate are two different entities and, if the thresholds are met, would require that two separate Forms 1041 be filed. If your father had all of his assets in a trust, then there is usually need to file an income tax return for an estate.

Regardless, the IRS will understand that the trust is filing its final return and there is no need to have both boxes checked (in fact it would be erroneous to do so).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

" My dad died, I want the IRS to understand that this is the last return on this trust tin#."

I am very sorry for your loss. 

It is important to understand that a nongrantor trust and an estate are two different entities and, if the thresholds are met, would require that two separate Forms 1041 be filed. If your father had all of his assets in a trust, then there is usually need to file an income tax return for an estate.

Regardless, the IRS will understand that the trust is filing its final return and there is no need to have both boxes checked (in fact it would be erroneous to do so).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies