surfgood

Form 1041 boxA: I'm filing a complex trust initial+final return, TT chked box, OK. But TT also asked dad died lastYR, YES on 03/27, but TT isn't chking Decedent's Estate?

Shouldn't Turbo tax have checked both boxes, COMPLEX and DECENDENT's ESTATE?  My dad died, I want the IRS to understand that this is the last return on this trust tin#.

tagteam

" My dad died, I want the IRS to understand that this is the last return on this trust tin#."

I am very sorry for your loss. 

It is important to understand that a nongrantor trust and an estate are two different entities and, if the thresholds are met, would require that two separate Forms 1041 be filed. If your father had all of his assets in a trust, then there is usually need to file an income tax return for an estate.

Regardless, the IRS will understand that the trust is filing its final return and there is no need to have both boxes checked (in fact it would be erroneous to do so).

tagteam

I am very sorry for your loss.