turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbradbur

Received a K1 with six entries for Box 20 Item Z. Turbo tax only has one entry box. What do I do now?

The K-1 I received has entries Z1 through Z6 for K-1 Box 20, each with different dollar amounts.  But TurboTax only provides one entry box for Item Z.  So how do I enter all 6 of these amounts?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Received a K1 with six entries for Box 20 Item Z. Turbo tax only has one entry box. What do I do now?

Don't enter anything in the "Enter Amount" box for Box 20, Code Z-Other Information (see the attached sample screen, Box 20, Code Z)

Select "Continue"

The next screen will give you plenty of options for entering the Z1 to Z6 amounts. If the description isn't already displayed, you can type them in at the bottom. Don't enter "zeroes" or Codes with an amount of "zero".

Run out of lines at the bottom? Just press "Tab" key and a new line appears (see attached sample screen, Box 20, Code Z Amounts).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ToddL

Don't enter anything in the "Enter Amount" box for Box 20, Code Z-Other Information (see the attached sample screen, Box 20, Code Z)

Select "Continue"

The next screen will give you plenty of options for entering the Z1 to Z6 amounts. If the description isn't already displayed, you can type them in at the bottom. Don't enter "zeroes" or Codes with an amount of "zero".

Run out of lines at the bottom? Just press "Tab" key and a new line appears (see attached sample screen, Box 20, Code Z Amounts).

wbradbur

TurboTaxToddL:  That worked!  Many thanks!  I am in your debt.  Follow-up question:  My K-1 has entries in both Box 1 and Box 2.  TT says to therefore enter this as two different K-1's.  But I have no idea how to segregate the Box 3-20 items that are associated with Box 1 income (business) and Box 2 (Rental).  And if I just enter all the same info twice, I get hit with double the tax.  Should I ignore the TT advice to enter as two K-1's, or is there a way to segregate the remaining boxes and associate some entries with Box 1 and some with Box 2?   Any advice appreciated.
ToddL

First, you do have to enter this as two different K-1s. I believe it works fine for one K-1 to report Box 1 income and the other to report Box 2 income and the remaining K-1 items. There is a small chance there might be "conflicts". Update this comment with details if that happens.
wbradbur

TurboTaxToddL:  Thanks again!  This also worked.  For the second K-1 (1065) I re-entered all the same information as the first K-1 for Parts I & II, items A - M.  Then for Part III of the K-1, I only entered the data from Box 2, and did not enter any info from Box 1 or from Boxes 3 - 20.  The double-hit on taxes is no longer occurring, so I think (hope) I'm now good to go.  I owe you one.
ToddL

My pleasure!
jeff310

I also have multiple entries for line 20Z (as well as 20AA), but when I leave the field blank as you indicated, I don't get a prompt to enter the details.  Is it okay to enter the information like I've done below: k1 line 20z.PNG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies