Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to deduct my electricity as a home business deduction even if most of my electricity expense is strictly related to my business?

I have a sole prop home business. Currently, I am deducting electricity as a percentage of the home office deduction. However, part of my business requires high energy-using hardware leading to a high electricity bill. I only use 25% of my home so I can only deduct this much for electricity; however 75% of my electricity is from my business. Is there a way to better reflect this in my business expenses. Can I forego deducting the electricity on my home deduction but rather as a business expense? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to deduct my electricity as a home business deduction even if most of my electricity expense is strictly related to my business?

You can allocate part of the electric bill to the home office and part as a business expense, but you would need to have a procedure that the IRS would accept for determining the amounts. If you can prove that 75% of your electric bill is for business use, the remaining 25 would be allocated between the home and the home office. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies