turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cglex

Where do i enter self employed health insurance premiums related to my schedule c business

for line 29 on 1040

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do i enter self employed health insurance premiums related to my schedule c business

Are you using the Desktop Home & Business version?

Go to
Business tab-Continue
Choose Jump to Full List -or I'll choose what I work on

Then…..
Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

Then click EDIT by the business name and the next screen should be a list of  topics,
Business Profile, Income, Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold, Expenses, Assets, and Final Details last.

Under Business Expenses, Click Start or Update by Other common business expenses
Then click Update by Insurance Payments
Then click Update by Health Insurance Premiums

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you using the Desktop Home & Business version?

Go to
Business tab-Continue
Choose Jump to Full List -or I'll choose what I work on

Then…..
Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

Then click EDIT by the business name and the next screen should be a list of  topics,
Business Profile, Income, Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold, Expenses, Assets, and Final Details last.

Under Business Expenses, Click Start or Update by Other common business expenses
Then click Update by Insurance Payments
Then click Update by Health Insurance Premiums

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you have coverage through the ACA, because entry becomes complicated 

cglex

No, I didn't
aseacohen

I do have ACA insurance but no assistance. Doesn't seem that Turbo tax gave me the deduction it just shows that I have 0 assistance. Do I add it to my schedule C deductions? Thanks! 

@aseacohen   No.  On the screen immediately after entering (or editing) your 1095-A, check the self employed box.  That will give you the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction if you qualify for it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies