Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deducting Rent for an LLC Partnership

In 2020, I had an LLC with a partner with the address listed as my apartment. For my apartment, I shared it with two roommates and split the rent. Since I worked out of the apartment for the LLC, would I be able to deduct what I paid for the rent (split 1/3)? Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

You're asking for trouble unless you have a dedicated space used for LLC business and nothing else. Even at that it would be better if you had an agreement with the LLC to rent the space from you.

All of the partners need to seek local professional assistance to set up the workings of the partnership correctly including the books so that things can be done correctly and legally.   And if you did not put the partnership return on extension when it was due on 3/15 then it is racking up penalties at the rate of $195 per partner per month.  

not only would a specific area need to be used but also the roommates could never use that space.  the taxpayer would have a hard time convincing an IRS agent that any of the rent he pays qualifies for the home office deduction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies