Can turbo tax help me with, schedule A - line 15? ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can turbo tax help me with, schedule A - line 15? Toxic Mold was found in my home, insurance co didn't pay the total cost of removing said mold so I could move back in.

3 Replies
Level 15

Can turbo tax help me with, schedule A - line 15? Toxic Mold was found in my home, insurance co didn't pay the total cost of removing said mold so I could move back in.

Unless your loss was declared to be the result of a federally declared disaster, your mold remediation expenses are not deductible. Per the instructions for SCH A line 15 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf on page A-13:

You can only deduct personal casualty and theft losses resulting from a fed-erally declared disaster to the extent that:

1.The amount of each separate casualty or theft loss is more than $100, and

2.The total amount of all losses during the year (reduced by the $100 limit discussed in (1)) is more than 10% of the amount on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 8b

Level 15

Level 15

Losses You Can Deduct

For tax years 2018 through 2025, if you are an individual, losses of personal-use property from fire, storm, shipwreck, or other casualty, or theft are deductible only if the loss is attributable to a federally declared disaster (federal casualty loss). See Pub. 547 for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i4684

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings