turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use the same individual 401k to receive contributions of income from (1) unincorporated sole proprietor income and also (2) single-member LLC?

I provide consulting services as an unincorporated sole proprietor.  I have  a longstanding individual 401k for this business endeavor.  The 401k is a prototype "super simplified standardized individual 401k profit sharing plan" with a brokerage.

I have another service business, in a different field, which is organized as a single-member LLC.   There are not retirement plans specifically associated with this business.

Can I contribute income from business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Can I use the same individual 401k to receive contributions of income from (1) unincorporated sole proprietor income and also (2) single-member LLC?

Yes, because you own both businesses, your two business are considered a controlled group  As a controlled group, they are treated as a single employer with regard to retirement plans.  If you are 100% owner of your sole proprietorship and your LLC is a single-member LLC, these must be treated as a single company and your net earnings from self-employment income will be determined by aggregating these two businesses.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
2020LLC
Returning Member

I formed a new LLC in 2020.  When I lost my job last year I rolled my 401K with my previous employer into a new 401k under the LLC entity.  I contributed $700 from my LLC income into the new 401k on 12/31/2020 in order to max out my contribution for the year.  Where do I enter the $700 on the tax forms?  Also, I paid a set up fee to the broker and  have annual maintenance fees on the new LLC 401k.  Do I enter this on the Schedule C?

Also, I had some personal property expenses (desk, computers, furniture, phone, etc.).  I use some 100% of the time and some 50% of the time for business use.  Do I need to fill out 4562 for this type of personal property, or is personal property an exception?

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies