turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wokmon
Returning Member

Can I use home and business this year like last year if I have a s-corp but did a schedule C but not 1120 form?

Would Home and business work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use home and business this year like last year if I have a s-corp but did a schedule C but not 1120 form?

If you have an S corporation, you need to file a Form 1120-S for that corporation. 

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1120s#idm139641016872208

TurboTax Home & Business cannot be used to file an 1120-S. The TurboTax product that can be used to prepare and file an 1120-S is TurboTax Business (link below).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Since you are not familiar with pass-through taxation for entities, you might want to consider seeking guidance from a tax professional.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you have an S corporation, you need to file a Form 1120-S for that corporation. 

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1120s#idm139641016872208

TurboTax Home & Business cannot be used to file an 1120-S. The TurboTax product that can be used to prepare and file an 1120-S is TurboTax Business (link below).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Since you are not familiar with pass-through taxation for entities, you might want to consider seeking guidance from a tax professional.

wokmon
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply! So s-corp strictly for TT business. Last year I did filed TT home/business. Which didnt reject my return.

1.Would I get penalized if I file using TT business this year?

2. Do I file my personal returnon the free TT version?

If you got an EIN for an S-corp and fail to file the S-corp return then expect an IRS letter asking for the corp return to be filed.   You need to file the correct form for the correct business ... I highly recommend you seek local professional assistance to clean up this mess and get educated on what you need to do going forward. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you have an S-corp, TurboTax Business is the only TurboTax product that will handle your Form 1120-S.  You won't be penalized for filing the correct form this year, but they are going to wonder where your 2019 Form 1120-S if you did not file it.   When you complete the Form 1120-S on TurboTax Business it will generate K-1s for all of the shareholders and those K-1 get reported on the shareholders' personal tax returns.   You can't use the Free Edition if you need to enter a K-1, so you will need to use TurboTax Premier or Home and Business (or Self-Employed if using online) to complete your personal taxes.  

Your tax return was not rejected because you entered your business information as a sole proprietorship; TurboTax Home and Business won't allow the entry of an S-corp other than through the K-1 entry.   Are you sure your business is registered as an S-corp?   Surprising you have not received a notice about missing tax returns.....

Business Structures

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wokmon
Returning Member

Thank for reply! I will take advise and buy TT Business. Since I used home and business last year, can I just use the free TT version for personel return? don't have any property, just straight payroll stubs. Or must use premier or home/business again.

Thxs!

@wokmon wrote:

...I will take advise and buy TT Business. Since I used home and business last year, can I just use the free TT version for personel return? don't have any property, just straight payroll stubs. Or must use premier or home/business again.

If you are planning to prepare the return for your S corporation (Form 1120-S), then a K-1 will be generated which you will, in turn, need to enter into your individual income tax program.

As a result, you will need to use TurboTax Premier to enter information from a K-1 if you plan on using an online version (you can use any desktop version).

Again, I would strongly suggest that you seek professional guidance with respect to preparing your Form 1120-S.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies