Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcm
Level 2

Anybody else here who had Form 8995 erroneously attached to their Federal return and cannot delete it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

55 Replies
LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Anybody else here who had Form 8995 erroneously attached to their Federal return and cannot delete it?

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/ 8995 in the list and follow the instructions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gcm
Level 2

That does not work for this form.

gcm
Level 2

Form 8995 is "Qualified Business Income Deduction". I have no business or partnership or trust or estate eligible for it.

This form was triggered, in my case, by a box on my 1099-DIV for the mutual fund VTSAX. The box is  "Section 199A" dividends. If you have business income you can take a deduction based on this amount. I do not qualify to take the deduction but in order to get rid of the form I would have to not report that Section 199A amount.  Otherwise the form will not delete. There is no option in TurboTax to get rid of the form. You can't delete it unless you zero out that box from the 1099-DIV. Here is the most succint explanation I have found of what "The Qualified Business Income Deduction" is and who is eligible to take it. There should be an option in TurboTax to not send it if filing electronically.

https://www.policygenius.com/taxes/qbi-deduction/

Thanks for doing the leg work to find why this is happening.  I have this same problem with a different Vanguard fund.  I'll zero out that box.  TTax Support has really gone downhill the last few years.

richt

Yes. In previous years I have had a business, including 2018. I imported my file from last year to start this 2019 year's return. My business was closed on Dec 31 2018 and not operational in 2019; no income and no expenses to report. Yet the Form 8995 is attached to current return albeit all entries are $0.00. I presume it is a carry over from having imported last years return. But, I can not seem to delete the form from my copy of current return. I may have to stat a new return without importing prior year and manually enter information to prevent linking the form. 

Same situation as I. Business was closed in 2018, imported information into 2019, deleted all Self Employment information yet the Form 8995 continues to be attached to the Federal return no matter how many times I deleted the form.   This needs to be addressed.

I have two rental houses that it is putting on the form 8995.  I do not feel that I meet the 250 hour rule so want to delete the form.  It will not let me.  Please fix this or tell me how to get rid of it.

Is there a box checked somewhere that causes this or?? please help

Thanks,

Donna

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have not filed, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8995 and Continue with My Return to proceed

My version of Turbo Tax is Home and Business on a cd.

I do not have tax tool so now what do I do?  If that would work I wouldn't need help.

I have a tools tab...but no tax tools?

Help

Donna44

@Donna44 wrote:

My version of Turbo Tax is Home and Business on a cd.

I do not have tax tool so now what do I do?  If that would work I wouldn't need help.

I have a tools tab...but no tax tools?

Help

Donna44

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on the form on the left side of the screen you want to delete.  With the form opened click on the Delete button at the bottom of the opened form.

@DoninGA 

TTax is falling down on the job by not explaining this is sufficient detail.  In my case, the creation of form 8995 was triggered by an entry on a Mutual Fund 1099-Div, box 5 regarding Section 199A Dividends.  This is listed in the REIT section of for 8995.  There is nothing to tell users why this form is being created and it is very easy to assume there is an error in why this form is created.

As for your process to delete the form:  I use the version for an iMac.  There is NO delete at the bottom of the page.  That said, from the app menu there is a "remove form" and by selecting that I am warned that all the data will be deleted.  And by agreeing to have the data deleted, the current return is recalculated the for form is NOT DELETED.  It also crashes the program.

As I said before, TTax is falling down on their job. 

If that would work I would not be asking.

It does not work

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Home and Business is what I am using. Follow these steps:

1. On the top right, there is a FORMS button.
  2. Click on FORMS.
  3. The program shifts and you see a list of forms on the left hand side.
  4. Locate the form you want to delete.
  5. Click on the form name.
  6. Below the form, bottom left, select DELETE FORM button.
  7. Click on Step by Step to return to the program.

@Donna44

Yes, if that worked I would not be asking!!!!!  IT DOES NOT WORK TO DELETE FORM 8995.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies