Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC for NQ share repurchase proceeds

Situation: I received a 1099-NEC but I'm not self-employed. I received this form because my previous employer decided to repurchase my shares (which I had purchased with after-tax dollars after exercising NQ options). The amount listed on box #1 /Nonemployee compensation/ is the TOTAL proceeds from the repurchase (not just the gains on top of my tax basis).

Questions:
1. How should I enter the form into TurboTax as most options lead me to create Schedule C, which does not seem suitable for me as this isn't business income.

2. Is the amount on box 1 on the form correct? Shouldn't it only reflect the gain (proceeds less basis)?

TIA for your help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, this type of reporting is confusing but since this is a stock repurchase by a former employer, I have outlined the best method to report this. Before you begin however, make sure you delete all of your previous entries. You will need to start fresh when you begin entering information as  described below.

1. Go to federal>wages and income>investment income>stocks, bonds, other
  2. Now you will answer some preliminary questions.  Say no if you did not receive a 1099B.
  3.  Next screen is critical because it asks you for the sale price, description, what you originally paid for it, date sold, date acquired etc.
  4. In the description section, be sure to mention this is an employee stock redemption reported on a 1099 NEC.
  5. Now you will be asked a question if this was a sale of employee stock, here you will say yes.
  6. The next screen will ask what type of employee stock is it.  Non-qualified stock option plan would be the most appropriate choice for this selection.
  7. Finish out the section reporting this income.

I think the answer to your first question is satisfied by recording your 1099 NEC as an investment sale of employee stock that will not appear on a schedule C.

Your second question is also satisfied by the third point when you enter sale price, description, what you originally paid for it, date sold, date acquired etc.

Let us know if this helps !!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, this type of reporting is confusing but since this is a stock repurchase by a former employer, I have outlined the best method to report this. Before you begin however, make sure you delete all of your previous entries. You will need to start fresh when you begin entering information as  described below.

1. Go to federal>wages and income>investment income>stocks, bonds, other
  2. Now you will answer some preliminary questions.  Say no if you did not receive a 1099B.
  3.  Next screen is critical because it asks you for the sale price, description, what you originally paid for it, date sold, date acquired etc.
  4. In the description section, be sure to mention this is an employee stock redemption reported on a 1099 NEC.
  5. Now you will be asked a question if this was a sale of employee stock, here you will say yes.
  6. The next screen will ask what type of employee stock is it.  Non-qualified stock option plan would be the most appropriate choice for this selection.
  7. Finish out the section reporting this income.

I think the answer to your first question is satisfied by recording your 1099 NEC as an investment sale of employee stock that will not appear on a schedule C.

Your second question is also satisfied by the third point when you enter sale price, description, what you originally paid for it, date sold, date acquired etc.

Let us know if this helps !!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dave,

This was incredibly helpful. Thanks for holding my hands through this one! 

Much appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies