Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timboc1
Returning Member

Entering proceeds from repurchase of Profits Interest Grant

Need advice on how to enter the proceeds from the shares repurchase of my profits interest grant that I received after I left my former employer.  Since they are not a broker I will not be receiving a 1099B. Also wondering if I should be selecting ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RSU, RS, or Stock as the type of investment.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify whether you received actual shares in connection with your profit interest.  Also, the firm that gave you the profit interest, what type of firm was that, e.g. partnership, limited liability company, corporation.  

@timboc1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
timboc1
Returning Member

The grant was in 2016 and was for a specific number of shares with consideration of "Participant's services" vesting over a 4 year period. When I left, the company performed a share repurchase so I received a check.

The firm is an LLC.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You won't enter this as any of the employee based stock transactions.  This is entered as a straight sale of stock.  They granted you these shares and you received no compensation as part of the transaction - it was just a bit of ownership in the company for being a good employee.

So the stock sale is issued as though you had received a 1099-B.  The sale date is the date that they paid you.  The purchase date is the date that you became fully vested.  The amount of sale is the amount that they paid you and the cost basis is zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies