Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC correction

I have been using TurboTax for over 25 years, but this is the first year I have had to file 1099s for independent contractors.  I used Intuit's Quick Employer Forms site, and it worked well, but I made an error on one of the forms, so I need to file a correction.  

Now, the Quick Employer Forms FAQ leaves me high and dry, providing only a list of *all possible* IRS forms. See https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/faq.htm#CorrectForms. 

The most important question is this:  Because the original information return was file electronically, must I file the correction electronically?  From publication 1220, it appears that is a very complicated process, possibly requiring software that I don't have and don't know where to get.  Alternatively, may I file a paper correction?  This seems straightforward.  

It is irresponsible that Intuit does not provide better support for this Commonly Asked Question!  

Bradford R. Findell 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

1099-NEC correction

You may file your corrections on paper even though the originals were filed electronically, as long as you are filing less than 250 corrected forms. 

Please see page 9:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

1099-NEC correction

You may file your corrections on paper even though the originals were filed electronically, as long as you are filing less than 250 corrected forms. 

Please see page 9:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

gburg2017

1099-NEC correction

Hello! Looking for help to complete my 2020 simple tax return...

In 2019, I made more than $600 for services and had a 1099-MISC

In 2020, I did not make more than $600 for these services and did not get a 1099-NEC nor 1099-MISC.

It is still not letting me submit the federal tax form, insisting that I enter info for a 1099-NEC. Did I choose the wrong thing at the beginning of this process? How can I fix this?

Thanks to an expert, in advance!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC correction

@gburg2017 You probably have the 1099 form from 2019 still in you TurboTax program. You can try to delete it by using these menu tabs in TurboTax:

1. Tax tools (on the left menu bar)
  2. Tools
  3. Delete a form

Find the form 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC in the list and delete the form.

gburg2017

1099-NEC correction

Thank you! That worked!

1099-NEC correction

Thank you so much! 

For anyone else with this question, you need to order forms from the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/orderforms.  The downloadable 1099-NEC that includes Copy A is not scannable.  

Order also form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns, which must accompany the corrected 1099-NEC. 

camispinel
Returning Member

1099-NEC correction

Hi,

What if the only incorrect information on the 1099-NEC is the payer's information? I read you don't need to submit a correction. Is this true?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC correction

@camispinel You are correct, if the income reported is correct, you don't need to amend your tax return.

OGR

1099-NEC correction

My wife and I received a 1099-NEC corrected and I have to amend my 2021 return. Should I edit the one I already submitted electronically or only add the corrected forms as a new one?

Thanks in advance

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC correction

You'll need to add the information to what you’ve already input into the TurboTax program, amending your return. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

Generally speaking, you need to amend a return when you’ve omitted income.  See the TurboTax Help article Do I need to amend? for details.

@OGR

1099-NEC correction

I agree. Turbotax should offer a 1099-NEC correction. In spite of responders" claims , I am very unsure that the IRS will accept a paper correction. And what about a corrected 1096? I called IRS and requested a call back. They called back in 45 minutes and then I was on the phone for over an hour with the constant message that agents were busy but hold on. The music eventually went dark silent but the call did not disconnect. I gave up after an hour and fifteen minutes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies