Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rick139

100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee

How do I make a claim for the 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee when Turbotax incorrectly calculated penalty and interest on my return for 2022.  I do not have a notice from IRS nor do I expect to receive one.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If you didn't get a letter from the IRS how do you know line 38 is wrong?

The amount Turbo Tax calculates on your 1040 line 38 is only an estimate.  Turbo Tax can not figure it accurately because they don't know exactly when the IRS or state will get your return and tax due payment.  It's very common and normal and expected for the IRS or state to bill you for more or send you a refund.

You might have been able to eliminate it or at least reduce it.  You go to Federal Taxes tab or Personal tab, under Other Tax Situations and select Start by the Underpayment Penalties. It's from 2210.  

If you are referring to the Estimated Tax Penalty on your Form 1040 Line 38, that is based on the tax payments you reported on your tax return.  The Underpayment of Estimated Tax penalty is calculated where the tax payments were not spread out over the tax year.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

See the following FAQs.

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee or 100% Accurate, Exp...

But note the first bullet in the "How do I submit a claim" FAQ. If you have not received an IRS notice you have no basis for a claim.

The accuratcy guarantee doesn't cover the estimated underpayment penalty  mainly because the calculation is based on the data entered by the user.  The fed/state retain the wait to calculate penalties + interest based on the info they have on file and the timing of the balance due and estimated payments being made.  

rick139

I have received several replies, but no one has answered my question.  "How do you file a claim on 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee."

I do not have an IRS notice because this is not an IRS issue.  I received bad advice from TurboTax resulting in me having to pay penalty and interest which I did.

Can someone please inform me how to submit this claim on the TurboTax guarantee.

Did you not see the links that were provided above?  That is how to make a claim.

But as others mentioned, it seems questionable if you meet the criteria for the claim.  But you are welcome to try.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@rick139 wrote:

I have received several replies, but no one has answered my question.  "How do you file a claim on 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee."

@rick139  I answered your question a few days ago. You have to click the link in my earlier reply above that says "How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee . . ." That link will take you to an FAQ that tells you how to submit a claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies