Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your refund has been applied to a past due tax obligation what does this mean I'm not getting my taxes?

I need answers
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
JudithR

Your refund has been applied to a past due tax obligation what does this mean I'm not getting my taxes?

I am so sorry you are finding out this way.IRS can and does withhold tax refunds if you have certain prior debt obligations.Please see this IRS link: https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refunds-may-be-applied-to-offset-certain-debts  I would also suggest contacting them for more information.

Can my taxes be taken if I financed a vehicle and it was repoed and now they want me to pay for it cause I abandoned the vehicle

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

A refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax. For more information please click the link below.

What is a refund offset? - Community - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will I still get my tax return on the date they say I should get it still ?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the above comment concerning an Offset by ChondelLO.  We do not know the amount of your refund or how much was Offset.  

nhagans20

I got the same msg this year, but no date was listed. It only said "Your refund has been applied to a past due IRS tax obligation." Does that mean my whole refund was applied to the debt? (I dont even know what the debt is smh).

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@nhagans20

Turbo Tax will not know if your full return will be taken. You can contact the IRS for more information. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

Please contact the IRS Treasury Offset Department at 1800-304-3107.

Wha

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Jerkeira17 Looks like your full question did not post. Can you please re-post your question again?  

Jeroide82

Why money not any my bank on 3_3_2020 it accepted no it say in not getting it how much I owe the IRS they took my money last year and the year beforehand that 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Does your refund on the IRS website show it has been sent? Once your refund status on the IRS shows "Refund Sent" it can take 1 to 5 business days for the financial institution to deposit fund into your account. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

For the most up to date information on your refund, check your status on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site.

If you are concerned about a refund offset and you have not received a notice, you can call the offset hotline. Click the link below for information on the IRS and phone number:

Topic No. 203 Reduced Refund

I wanted to know at the end received my tax refund I want to know what is going on

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Areanjee88

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it. Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/use-the-wheres-my-refund-tool Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

My name,is michael SOMEBODY illegal field my tax return you or someone is going to jail...soc.sec.#[social security number removed]..i suggested fixing it my,name aint no Priscilla and ive filled out a fraud form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies