Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deanpro

How do I open prior turbotax files with a file extension .tax?

returns from years 1993 to 2004  all created with turbotax software.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LindaMLO

You will need to use the same year software as what you originally used to prepare the returns. If that is no longer an option then you won't be able to open those files. However, you can obtain a copy of prior tax returns through the IRS website:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

pcampa

I visited the IRS website and I can go back to 2015 tax returns.  Nothing beyond that is available for downloads.

From the IRS you can get free transcripts going back at least seven years.  If you want exact copies from the IRS it will cost you $50 per return.  The IRS keeps returns for seven years.

You can get a free transcript from the IRS:   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why do you need returns that old?
skparma

I had the same question.  They are needed to prove we did a non-deductible contribution to our IRA's for a few years back in the 90's.  Those contributions provide some basis to our IRA's

FYI ... a wise person would keep a copy of the form 8606 with their IRA information so they have this info when needed ... and you ONLY need the last form 8606 filed.  Since you need that info now  and did not keep paper or PDF copies of the return then your only option is to use a company to translate the .taxfiles : 

TaxPrinter service at  http://www.taxprinter.com 

They might be expensive and it is probably not safe to email tax returns back and forth  Their Website says…….
We read most federal and state files (Windows and Macintosh) from years 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013... Known exceptions are TurboTax 1997 and TaxCut 2005 files which we can't read for technical reasons.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies