turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsimp429

Paypal has a loan from a loan company listed as income on my 1099 k and won't change it. Do I have to report it as is or can I deduct the loan amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

Paypal has a loan from a loan company listed as income on my 1099 k and won't change it. Do I have to report it as is or can I deduct the loan amount?

You will be able to deduct the loan proceeds that are currently reported on your 1099-K as income.

It is very important that you report the full amount of 1099 income as shown on the form.  The IRS does have a matching program to ensure that all 1099s reported to them are included on the recipient's income tax returns. However, in a case such as yours, you should then treat the amount that was not actually income as a deduction.

In the Expenses portion of your Schedule C (Self-employed profit or loss), you should add Other miscellaneous expenses.  For the description, put in "Loan proceeds reported as income on 1099-K" and then enter the amount of the loan you received.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

You will be able to deduct the loan proceeds that are currently reported on your 1099-K as income.

It is very important that you report the full amount of 1099 income as shown on the form.  The IRS does have a matching program to ensure that all 1099s reported to them are included on the recipient's income tax returns. However, in a case such as yours, you should then treat the amount that was not actually income as a deduction.

In the Expenses portion of your Schedule C (Self-employed profit or loss), you should add Other miscellaneous expenses.  For the description, put in "Loan proceeds reported as income on 1099-K" and then enter the amount of the loan you received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies