turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Which forms need to be attached to 1040X

When I file my 2016 tax return, I entered wrong payment date for fourth quarter of 2016 for California estimated tax. I paid it at Dec 2016, but entered wrong date as Dec 2017 so I didn’t receive that tax deduction from the Federal Tax in 2016. Now I amended the 2016 tax file and corrected the date by using the Turbotax. I selected "All official forms required for filling" and It printed 1040X and all other forms ( include Schedule A, B, D, forms 8949 and all state forms ) with total of 176 pages ( the original 1040 tax file was 169 pages ).

Do I need to mail the whole package (176 pages) to IRS or should I only mail the 1040X? Any other forms need to be attached to 1040X?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You should only mail IRS Form 1040X and the supporting schedule(s) that have changed. Based on what you described, it seems like Schedule A (Form 1040) would have changed. You should also ensure you complete IRS Form 1040X Part III—Explanation of Changes.

Per IRS Instructions for Form 1040X, page 14:

"Part III—Explanation of Changes

The IRS needs to know why you are filing Form 1040X. For example, you:

• Received another Form W-2 after you filed your return,
  • Forgot to claim the child tax credit,
  • Changed your filing status from qualifying widow(er) to head of household, or
  • Are carrying an unused NOL or credit to an earlier year,
  • Are claiming a tax benefit from recently enacted legislation for disaster relief.

Assembling Your Return

Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040X in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper-right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Don’t attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so.

Attach to the front of Form 1040X:

• A copy of any Form W-2, Form W-2c, or Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains, that support changes made on this return;
  • A copy of any Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, or 1099-R that support changes made on this return, but only if tax was withheld; and
  • A copy of any Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding; Form SSA-1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement (Nonresident Aliens); Form RRB-1042S, Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board (Nonresident Aliens); or Form 8288-A, Statement of Withholding on Dispositions by Foreign Persons of U.S. Real Property Interests, that support changes made on this return.

Attach to the back of Form 1040X any Form 8805, Foreign Partner's Information Statement of Section 1446 Withholding Tax, that supports changes made on this return.

If you owe tax and you don’t want to pay electronically, enclose (don’t attach) your check or money order in the envelope with your amended return. See the instructions for line 20, earlier."

Furthermore, TurboTax begins calculating amended tax refund(s) or taxes owed based on the assumption you already received the refund(s) you originally filed for or paid taxes owed. Thus, if you don't actually receive the original refund(s) you filed for or need to adjust the amount(s), please keep that in mind when you amend your tax return(s). Please review the following link(s) and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information:

Dannyboy_
Returning Member

which form do i need for a 1040x

WKins2
Expert Alumni

When you are mailing in your amended form 1040X, you need to include any tax forms you used for the amendment, and it is best practice to mail in a copy of the original 1040 (if you have one). 

If you have a balance due, you should also include payment with the 1040X. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wkins2's advice flies in the face of what everybody else has said, so now some clarification is needed.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Do not include a copy of your original return with your Form 1040-X.  You include with Form 1040-X any form or schedule that has changed from the original form or schedule.  Form 1040-X is placed on top and the forms and schedules that you need to include are placed behind Form 1040-X.  The order is based on the number in the upper right hand corner of each form or schedule.  

According to the IRS, 

When filing an amended or corrected return:

• Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return.
  • To avoid delays, file Form 1040-X only after you've filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
  • Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return.

Here is a link from which the above information was obtained:

Amended Returns and Form 1040-X

@JayKepps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Importantly, there are a lot of conflicting opinions regarding whether the NEW, AMENDED 1040 should indeed be attached to the 1040X, (along  with other revised schedules & forms).

As GeorgeM777 points out, the IRS website states: 

• Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return.

Well? Isn't the new 1040 a "Revised Form"?  So it should be attached to the 1040X right?  And should it be signed or will that confuse them?

Amidst the vast conflicting opinions on this topic, I unearthed some advice I think might be worth considering. Would love to get consensus opinion on this because it seems like good advice.

It goes like this:

-Use the explanation box of the 1040X with communication in mind.  As required, enumerate the changes you've made, but then also add a sentence like this -- "Included as attachments are the following:  NEW Form 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule ABCXYZ123, etc..."

-At the top of the New 1040, write in red ink: "AMENDED 1040, ATTACHMENT TO FORM 1040x"

Also, write the word "AMENDED" on the top of every page of every other attachment.

IMHO, this seems all about communication with the IRS in order to alleviate confusion.  Does anyone else think this is a good idea? 

IMPORTANTLY: If you attach the NEW 1040 to the 1040X, do you also sign it?

@GeorgeM777

greenhornet58
Returning Member

Forgot to mail my W-2's with my tax return. What can I do?

Sachachin

I just need my 1040 form 

@Sachachin wrote:

I just need my 1040 form 

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Hi Folks,

Can you please help me understand how this will work in my case? I have some Section 1256 contract losses which will carry back to a previous year.

Do I do send in, both the Fed and State Amendments at the same time? OR sequentially (Fed first - wait for acceptance, then do State)?

Are State procedures for amendment similar to Fed? (I'm in California - if it helps in responding).

TIA! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies