turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have no balance due and no refund on my D..C. tax return. I did not get a copy of the return (FORM D-40B). Do I need a copy of the DC return to file or not?

My question is not about the Federal Return. It is about the 2017 District of Columbia return. When printing the return, I got only the directions for filing it.  How do I get a copy of the finished return to mail?  Or do I need to mail a DC return since I have no refund and have no balance due?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have no balance due and no refund on my D..C. tax return. I did not get a copy of the return (FORM D-40B). Do I need a copy of the DC return to file or not?

You do not need a DC return.  The Form D-40B is a DC nonresident request for a refund.  Since you have no refund, it means that DC tax was not withheld from your paycheck.  The District of Columbia does not tax a nonresident of DC who is working in DC:  you are only taxed in your home state.  If you have no refund on this form, you are not required to file it at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You do not need a DC return.  The Form D-40B is a DC nonresident request for a refund.  Since you have no refund, it means that DC tax was not withheld from your paycheck.  The District of Columbia does not tax a nonresident of DC who is working in DC:  you are only taxed in your home state.  If you have no refund on this form, you are not required to file it at all.

Great answer.  The instructions should state that there is no need to mail anything for that situation.
eversue2

Is this still the case for a 2018 DC tax return where there is no refund or tax due?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes.
eversue2

Thank you!
mahsur

I support 100% of your suggestions. If there is no balance due or no refund,

Turbo Tax should say you do not need to file DC return.

what is the use of DC filing instructions ?

don't create confusion for your customers, get smart Turbo Tax !!!

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies