Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a student who had wages in my out-of-school state, so I'm filing nonres/res as advised. How do I find out what "Other Income" means? The number doesn't match any info

The question asks, "How much of the $xxxx is from the non-resident state?" I have no idea where the number came from, and can't find it anywhere in my return. If I don't know what this is referring to, how am I supposed to know how to allocate it between my nonres/res states?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm a student who had wages in my out-of-school state, so I'm filing nonres/res as advised. How do I find out what "Other Income" means? The number doesn't match any info

Look at your form 1040 and see which line the income is on.  You may need to check Schedule 1 too. 

TomK100
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax article for additional information: Multiple States—Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can’t view the form in TurboTax Online until I pay the filing fees. Is there another way to figure this out?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Is there another way to figure this out?

A. You need to Review all your entries. to see if you can find the error. 

Just checking in to see if you found anything yet, we’ve got to have this done by tomorrow.

Hal_Al
Level 15

I meant YOU need to Review all your entries. to see if you can find the error. 

In this forum, we can't see you tax return.  TurboTax support probably has that capability.

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.

2)  then select "Tools"

3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up

4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

This is a user to user forum. You can probably get help from this forum by asking a specific question.

To contact TurboTax (TT) support:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp 

In the search line enter some keywords or question without quotes. On the next page, skip the suggested topic links and scroll down until you see CALL US.  It should show the wait times.

Live help is available 7 days per week from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. PST. (Jan 11- Apr 21)

Free support is not available to Free Edition users. You will have to upgrade to talk to a representative.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies