Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sharaira

Can I amend my 2011 tax return now?

<p>I heard that the last day to file a 2011 claim for a refund is April 15, 2015 since I filed&nbsp;my 2011 tax&nbsp;on or just before&nbsp;April 15, 2012.</p><p>Am I still eligable to amend my 2011 taax retrun since now is june 2015?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html

sharaira

So yes or no?

You can always amend if you owe more tax !
Critter1

No if you are getting a refund, the limitation is up.
sharaira

i want to claim EITC deductible which means I will get more refund. Am I still able to amend and get that refund?
Critter1

NO, the IRS will not pay a refund on a 2011 return anymore for any reason. They put time limits on filing for refunds and it is now too late. If you want to mail one in go ahead but it will not be paid.
sharaira

unfortunately,,,Thanks for your comments.

The 2011 program would have given you the EITC automatically if you had qualified.
bigbad77

What if I wanted to amend my 2011 taxes due to the amount I owe cause my employer illegally had me as a 1099 employee without knowing until January 2012 when I got a 1099 not a W2?

Since you knew about this in Jan 2012 (more then 6 years ago), the IRS will not let you file an amended return. You waited too long. Likewise, it is probably too late to file a civil suit against that employer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies