Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elove1983

Can unemployment take money from state and federal refund or they have to choose

Just curious if unemployment can take both my state and federal refund or they have to choose one
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Patrice

Can unemployment take money from state and federal refund or they have to choose

Yes, they can take both state and federal refunds.  State Unemployment Insurance Compensation debts are now eligible for referral to Treasury Offset Program

The Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Through the TOP program, BFS may reduce your refund (overpayment) and offset it to pay:

• Past-due child support;
  • Federal agency non-tax debts;
  • State income tax obligations; or
  • Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that weren't paid).

You can contact the agency with which you have a debt to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset. You may call BFS's TOP call center at the number below for an agency address and phone number. If your debt meets submission criteria for offset, BFS will reduce your refund as needed to pay off the debt you owe to the agency. Any portion of your remaining refund after offset is issued in a check or direct deposited as originally requested on the return.

BFS will send you a notice if an offset occurs. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund once your refund date has passed. You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or if you're disputing the amount taken from your refund. If you don't receive a notice:

• Contact the BFS's TOP call center at 800-304-3107 or TDD 866-297-0517, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
  • Contact the IRS only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return.

Click on the link below to find out if your state participates in the offset program:

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsservices/gov/debtColl/dms/top/uicDebt/debt_top_uic.htm#uicmap

Can unemployment take both refunds from different jobs

Can .They offset my state due to overpayment of unemployment

Can they take my state & federal

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the more detailed post above by Patrice. The answer is yes they can take both. 

@KyqianaHearn 

Edited 2/27/20

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found out Connecticut took my Federal Taxes for overpayment..I live in Massachusetts..but still the check haven't been distributed yet. So why. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does not receive information regarding returns once they have been accepted but you can track the status of your state return or contact MA directly by following the directions in the following TurboTax FAQ:

How do I track my Massachusetts tax refund?

I dont kno what state you are in but MA unemployment just posted a notice that they will NOT be collecting any tax refunds for overpaid unemployment this tax season. So basically if you owe unemployment any $ (I believe it has to be a no fault overpayment, not if fraud was involved) they will not be intercepting state or fed. taxes to collect it this year.  Good luck

JennyH4

Hey

My state taxes was collected due to unemployment for overpayment. I wasn't even working due to my bus driving job since schools closed due Covid. They racked up on me $ 20,000 for i guess the 600.00 extra that government included. I being trying reach Unemployment and wrote Appeals. 

mariajo

If o  unemployment  can take my taxes  money or or not 

mariajo

Just  Federal tax return Can I check that we're o unemployment  office 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I'm not sure I understand your complete question. If you owe back unemployment, both your Federal and State refunds can be offset to pay the debt.

Refund Offset  

I.R.C. § 6402(a) authorizes the IRS to credit an overpayment, including any interest generated on the overpayment, against certain liabilities of a taxpayer before refunding any portion of the overpayment. 

The debts that may be offset under section 6402 include: 

■ any unpaid federal tax liability;  

■ any unpaid federal non-tax debt;  

■ past-due child support;  

■ past-due, legally enforceable state income tax obligations; and  

unemployment compensation debts.  

Thank you. They just took state return (which is what I expected) & it wasn't much. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies