Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jule5

I may need to amend my return. I need to see what the difference will be if I Itemize my return instead of taking the standard deduction.

If I start to emend my return to find out. can I cancel it without any issues?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I may need to amend my return. I need to see what the difference will be if I Itemize my return instead of taking the standard deduction.

Yes, there are no major issues with doing this. What you do in Turbo Tax stays in Turbo Tax. Since amended returns need to be mailed (except for a handful of states which permit efiing of amendments), only an amendment which you literally mail goes to the IRS.

The only thing that is recommended is that you be sure to print your original return before making any changes. If you decide not to bother with the amendment, delete the 1040X here:

• My Account
  • Tools
  • Delete A Form
  • delete the 1040X

If you leave the amended return in the program without deleting that, it could transfer improper data to next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Yes, there are no major issues with doing this. What you do in Turbo Tax stays in Turbo Tax. Since amended returns need to be mailed (except for a handful of states which permit efiing of amendments), only an amendment which you literally mail goes to the IRS.

The only thing that is recommended is that you be sure to print your original return before making any changes. If you decide not to bother with the amendment, delete the 1040X here:

• My Account
  • Tools
  • Delete A Form
  • delete the 1040X

If you leave the amended return in the program without deleting that, it could transfer improper data to next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies