• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoodmank
Level 1

I just received a 1099 that I did not expect until 2018; do I need to amend my taxes and if so, will this delay me even longer than the already expected feb 27th w/CTC

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I just received a 1099 that I did not expect until 2018; do I need to amend my taxes and if so, will this delay me even longer than the already expected feb 27th w/CTC

Yes, if you submitted your tax return, then received Form 1099 dated for 2016, you will need to file an amended return, which must be printed and mailed to the IRS (no e-file).

Your original return will be processed per the IRS guidelines, including any refund you may be due. An amended return is processed separately, usually taking 12 weeks or more.

We recommend that you wait to amend until after the IRS has processed your original return and you have received your refund (if any). Note that if you filed your original return with TurboTax, there is no additional cost to file an amended return.

To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you submitted your tax return, then received Form 1099 dated for 2016, you will need to file an amended return, which must be printed and mailed to the IRS (no e-file).

Your original return will be processed per the IRS guidelines, including any refund you may be due. An amended return is processed separately, usually taking 12 weeks or more.

We recommend that you wait to amend until after the IRS has processed your original return and you have received your refund (if any). Note that if you filed your original return with TurboTax, there is no additional cost to file an amended return.

To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.46m
Members

2.57m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v