turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mona7994

Do I need to send a check for the amount I'm amending when I send in my 1040x form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

Do I need to send a check for the amount I'm amending when I send in my 1040x form?

Yes, and there are other options as well.

Line 19—Amount You Owe

You can pay by check, money order, credit or debit card or the EFTPS

To pay by check or money order: Send your signed Form 1040X with a check or money order for the full amount payable to “United States Treasury.” Do not send cash. Do not attach your payment to Form 1040X. Instead, enclose it in the envelope with your amended return. On your payment, put your name, address, daytime phone number, and SSN. If you are filing a joint Form 1040X, enter the SSN shown first on the return. Also, enter the tax year and type of return you are amending (for example, Amended 2015 Form 1040”). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MollsBBU

Yes, and there are other options as well.

Line 19—Amount You Owe

You can pay by check, money order, credit or debit card or the EFTPS

To pay by check or money order: Send your signed Form 1040X with a check or money order for the full amount payable to “United States Treasury.” Do not send cash. Do not attach your payment to Form 1040X. Instead, enclose it in the envelope with your amended return. On your payment, put your name, address, daytime phone number, and SSN. If you are filing a joint Form 1040X, enter the SSN shown first on the return. Also, enter the tax year and type of return you are amending (for example, Amended 2015 Form 1040”). 

mona7994

If you dont, will the IRS send you a letter for the amount you owe?
MollsBBU

If you don't make arrangements to pay your 2015 tax liability by April 18, 2016, you will receive a bill by mail from the IRS and will begin to incur late fees and penalties.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies